Reconnection of magnetic lines in an ideal fluid [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1978. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 48 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- The rate of reconnection of magnetic lines at an X-point, also growth of a ''tearing'' configuration have always been related to the presence of resistivity or other dissipative mechanisms. These phenomena, exhibiting nonconservation of magnetic line topology, are shown to occur in an ideal, nondissipative fluid, thereby violating beliefs, theorems, and calculations of over a century (including the mathematically equivalent questions involving vortex lines in an ideal fluid).
- Published through SciTech Connect., 04/01/1978., "coo-3077-152", and Grad, H.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14751971