Destabilizing effect of alpha particles in a Maxwellian plasma [electronic resource].
- Urbana, Ill. : University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1976. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 53 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Various plasma waves which are possibly excited by MeV alphas have been investigated. For a delta birth distribution it is found that: a) The right-circularly polarized Alfven wave can be excited. Its growth rate is linearly proportional to the ..cap alpha..-particle density. b) The drift Alfven wave is stable against ..cap alpha..-particles. c) For a uniform temperature, the plasma wave spectrum changes from three branches with n/sub ..cap alpha../ = 0 to four branches for n/sub ..cap alpha../ not equal to 0 case. d) ..cap alpha..-particles can destabilize the ion drift acoustic wave even with uniform temperature. However, the ion acoustic wave appears to be stable against fusion products in a fusion grade plasma. e) If their effect on the background plasma spectrum is neglected, ..cap alpha..-particles can excite the electromagnetic cyclotron wave in a range of harmonics (band structure). The growth rate is proportional to the square root of ..cap alpha..-particle density. f) If the effect of ..cap alpha..-particle on the plasma spectrum is included, we find that electromagnetic cyclotron wave is stable.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/01/1976., "coo-2218-70", and Wang, M.Y.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14753140