Technology requirements for fusion--fission reactors based on magnetic-mirror confinement [electronic resource].
- Livermore, Calif. : Lawrence Livermore Laboratory, 1978. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 23 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Lawrence Livermore Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Technology requirements for mirror hybrid reactors are discussed. The required 120-keV neutral beams can use positive ions. The magnetic fields are 8 T or under and can use NbTi superconductors. The value of Q (where Q is the ratio of fusion power to injection power) should be in the range of 1 to 2 for economic reasons relating to the cost of recirculating power. The wall loading of 14-MeV neutrons should be in the range of 1 to 2 MW/m/sup 2/ for economic reasons. Five-times higher wall loading will likely be needed if fusion reactors are to be economical. The magnetic mirror experiments 2XIIB, TMX, and MFTF are described.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/27/1978., "ucrl-80667", " conf-771155-3", 2. DMFE hybrid reactor meeting, Washington, DC, USA, 2 Nov 1977., and Moir, R.W.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14755203