Kinetics of. beta. -particle-induced exchange between H/sub 2/, D/sub 2/, and T/sub 2/ at 298 K [electronic resource].
- Livermore, Calif. : Lawrence Livermore Laboratory, 1978. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 11 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Lawrence Livermore Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- A quadrupole mass filter system was constructed in order to measure the equilibrium constants and rates of reaction of the ..beta..-particle-induced exchanges between H/sub 2/, D/sub 2/, and T/sub 2/ at cryogenic temperatures. Even with careful calibration experiments at 298 K, we could not completely remove the mass discrimination inherent in our method. We estimate the accuracy of our room-temperature mixture analyses to be +-2.2% in the D/sub 2/-DT-T/sub 2/ system, and +-9% in the H/sub 2/-HT-T/sub 2/ system. Preliminary kinetic experiments showed that the time to reach equilibrium in the exchange H/sub 2/ + T/sub 2/ = 2HT is 7 to 14 h at 298 K. The equivalent time interval in the exchange D/sub 2/ + T/sub 2/ = 2DT is 3.5 to 7 h at the same temperature. This measured isotope effect of the factor two can be used to predict the rates of DT exchange from HT rates in the literature.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/01/1978., "ucrl-80442", " conf-780508-25", 3. meeting on the technology of controlled thermonuclear fusion, Santa Fe, NM, USA, 9 May 1978., and Tsugawa, R.T.; Souers, P.C.; Roberts, P.E.; Pyper, J.W.; Kelly, E.M.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14755248