Laser fusion experiments at 2 TW. [Argus system; implosion of D-T filled glass microspheres] [electronic resource].
- Livermore, Calif. : Lawrence Livermore Laboratory, 1976.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 31 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Lawrence Livermore Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The Lawrence Livermore Laboratory Solid State Laser System, Arqus, has successfully performed laser implosion experiments at power levels exceeding 2 TW. D-T filled glass microspheres have been imploded to yield thermonuclear reaction products in excess of 5 x 10/sup 8/ per event. Neutron and ..cap alpha.. time-of-flight measurements indicate that D-T ion temperatures of approximately 5-6 keV and a density confinement time product (n tau) of approximately 1 x 10/sup 12/ were obtained in these experiments. Typically two 40J, 40 psec pulses of 1.06 ..mu..m light were focused on targets using 20 cm aperture f/1 lenses, producing intensities at the target in excess of 10/sup 16/ W/cm/sup 2/. An extensive array of diagnostics routinely monitored the laser performance and the laser target interaction process. Measurements of absorption and asymmetry in both the scattered light distribution and the ion blow off is evidence for non-classical absorption mechanisms and density scale heights of the order of 2 ..mu..m or less. The symmetry of the thermonuclear burn region is investigated by monitoring the ..cap alpha..-particle flux in several directions, and an experiment to image the thermonuclear burn region is in process. These experiments significantly extend our data base and our understanding of laser induced thermonuclear implosions and the basic laser plasma interaction physics from the 0.4 to 0.7 TW level of previous experiments.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:ucrl-78581(rev.2)
E 1.99: conf-761108-24
- Other Subject(s):
- Laser Implosions
- Thermonuclear Fuels
- Alpha Particles
- Plasma Diagnostics
- Time-Of-Flight Method
- Beta Decay Radioisotopes
- Beta-Minus Decay Radioisotopes
- Charged Particles
- Elementary Particles
- Hydrogen Isotopes
- Light Nuclei
- Odd-Even Nuclei
- Odd-Odd Nuclei
- Stable Isotopes
- Years Living Radioisotopes
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Plasma physics meeting of the American Physical Society, San Francisco, CA, USA, 15 Nov 1976.
Boyle, M.J.; Ahlstrom, H.G.; Storm, E.K.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14755729