Solar coal gasification reactor with pyrolysis gas recycle [electronic resource].
- Berkeley, Calif. : Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 1983.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Additional Creators:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Coal (or other carbonaceous matter, such as biomass) is converted into a duct gas that is substantially free from hydrocarbons. The coal is fed into a solar reactor (10), and solar energy (20) is directed into the reactor onto coal char, creating a gasification front (16) and a pyrolysis front (12). A gasification zone (32) is produced well above the coal level within the reactor. A pyrolysis zone (34) is produced immediately above the coal level. Steam (18), injected into the reactor adjacent to the gasification zone (32), reacts with char to generate product gases. Solar energy supplies the energy for the endothermic steam-char reaction. The hot product gases (38) flow from the gasification zone (32) to the pyrolysis zone (34) to generate hot char. Gases (38) are withdrawn from the pyrolysis zone (34) and reinjected into the region of the reactor adjacent the gasification zone (32). This eliminates hydrocarbons in the gas by steam reformation on the hot char. The product gas (14) is withdrawn from a region of the reactor between the gasification zone (32) and the pyrolysis zone (34). The product gas will be free of tar and other hydrocarbons, and thus be suitable for use in many processes.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:us 4415339
- Other Subject(s):
- Solar Coal Gasification Reactor Pyrolysis Gas Recycle Coal Carbonaceous Matter Biomass Converted Duct Gas Substantially Free Hydrocarbons Coal Fed Solar Reactor 10 Solar Energy 20 Directed Reactor Coal Char Creating Gasification Front 16 Pyrolysis Front 12 Gasification Zone 32 Produced Coal Level Reactor Pyrolysis Zone 34 Produced Immediately Coal Level Steam 18 Injected Reactor Adjacent Gasification Zone 32 Reacts Char Generate Product Gases Solar Energy Supplies Energy Endothermic Steam-Char Reaction Hot Product Gases 38 Flow Gasification Zone 32 Pyrolysis Zone 34 Generate Hot Char Gases 38 Withdrawn Pyrolysis Zone 34 Reinjected Region Reactor Adjacent Gasification Zone 32 Eliminates Hydrocarbons Gas Steam Reformation Hot Char Product Gas 14 Withdrawn Region Reactor Gasification Zone 32 Pyrolysis Zone 34 Product Gas Free Tar Hydrocarbons Suitable Processes Pyrolysis Gas Hot Product Gasification Reactor Gasification Zone Gasification Zone Gasification Zone Gasification Zone Gasification Zone Product Gases Product Gases Product Gas Product Gas Product Gas Product Gas Substantially Free Solar Energy Solar Energy Coal Gasification Coal Gas Pyrolysis Zone Pyrolysis Zone Pyrolysis Zone Pyrolysis Zone Coal Char Solar Coal Hot Char Hot Char Gas Recycle Carbonaceous Matter
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Gregg, David W.; Aiman, William R.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14761393