Review of evaluated cross section data for air and ground constituents [electronic resource].
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy, 1973.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 14 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- From EMP technical meeting; Kirtland AFB, New Mexico, USA (25 Sep 1973). During the past few years the Defense Nuclear Agency has sponsored a radiation transport program that has the goal of substantially reducing uncertainties in predictions of radiation environments. Important aspects of the program have been to provide new cross section measurements directed particularly at areas of ignorance in the data for several important materials and to maintain up-to-date cross section evaluations that fully incorporate the new experimental information. As a result, significant improvements have been made in recent years in the availability and accuracy of evaluated data for a number of materials, particularly in the area of gamma ray production. In the present paper a review is given of the status of evaluated cross section data for common air and ground constituents including C. N. O. Al. Si, La, and Fe. Particular emphasis is given to the air materials and to recent improvements in gamma ray production data. Comparisons of presently available evaluated data with the results of extensive new experimental measurements are given, and summaries of estimated errors in the evaluated data are presented. The increased accuracy of cross sections for other processes, such as neutron inelastic scattering and charged- particle production, that results from the improved gamma ray data is discussed. In addition, likely future trends in the evaluated data sets for air and ground constituents are outlined. (auth)
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:la-ur--73-1578
E 1.99: conf-730935--2
- N68351 --Physics (Nuclear, Experimental)--Nuclear Properties & Reactions, 6 <= A <= 19--Nuclear Reactions & Scattering
- N68451* --Physics (Nuclear, Experimental)--Nuclear Properties & Reactions, 20 <= A <= 38--Nuclear Reactions & Scattering
- N72100* --Physics (Radiation & Shielding)--Radiation Physics
- N68100 --Physics (Nuclear)--Neutron Interactions With Matter
- N42500* --Engineering--Nuclear Explosions
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
EMP technical meeting, Kirtland AFB, New Mexico, USA, 25 Sep 1973.
Los Alamos Scientific Lab., N.Mex. (USA)
View MARC record | catkey: 14761431