Catalog of books brought to Williamscote
- Loveday, John, 1742-1809
- Additional Titles:
- [after 1787]
- Physical Description:
- 304, 7, 6 unnumbered pages : vellum ; 24 cm
- Language Note:
- Predominently in English with some titles in Greek and Latin.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unrestricted access.
- John Loveday (1742-1809) compiled this catalog of his books, arranged alphabetically by author,and including the title, number of volumes if more than one, size (folio, octavo, duodecimo), place pf publication, and date. A second alphabetical list, A-M, begins after page 304 in a different hand. With pencil notations.
- Formerly part of an 18th-century library in Williamscote House near Banbury, Oxfordshire, England, assembled by John Loveday (1711-1789), philologist and antiquary, who lived at Caversham in Oxfordshire. The library was moved to Williamscote House in 1799 by John Loveday the second (1742-1809), Doctor of Laws.
- In Rare Books and Manuscripts, University Libraries, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pa. (#RBM 9557/Mss. book 41/Vault/Shelf GG)
- Administrative History:
- John Loveday the younger, born on 22 November 1742, was educated at Reading School. On 5 February 1760 he matriculated at Oxford as a gentleman-commoner of Magdalen College, graduating B.C.L. in 1766, and D.C.L. in 1771. He was admitted an advocate in Doctors' Commons on 4 November 1771, but ceased to practice after increasing his property by a marriage in 1777 with his ward Anne, only daughter and heiress of William Taylor Loder of Williamscote House near Banbury, Oxfordshire. Loveday then sold his father's property at Caversham, and lived at Williamscote, where he died on 4 March 1809, leaving four sons and a daughter. He assisted Richard Chandler in the preparation of Marmora Oxoniensia, 1763, and compiled the index. He contributed papers on local antiquities to the Gentleman's Magazine.
View MARC record | catkey: 14762616