Comparative evaluation of effects of ozonated and chlorinated thermal discharges on estuarine and freshwater organisms [electronic resource].
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy, 1979.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 102 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Although limited, the results of tests evaluating the comparative effects of chlorinated and ozonated thermal discharges on mummichog and white perch indicate that the biological effects of ozonation are much less severe than those of chlorination. The data also show white perch to be more sensitive than mummichog to the tested biocides. The relative effects of ozonation and chlorination in the behavioral studies were similar to those observed in the toxicity studies. Cough rates were higher in chlorinated than in ozonated thermal discharges at similar test concentrations. Avoidance concentrations of white perch were less than those for mummichog and all determined avoidance concentrations were less than lethal levels. The biological effects of any oxidizing biocide on a given species, however, are usually site specific. The chlorine avoidance concentrations of white perch tested at Bergen averaged 0.04 mg/1 total chlorine but averaged 0.06 mg/1 total chlorine when tested in Delaware estuarine waters. Although the amount of data obtained at Bergen is not large, it is indicative of the comparative biological effects in despoiled waters. Assuming such waters will be improved, however, concern then arises over the comparative effects of chlorination and ozonation in waters which support large populations of aquatic organisms. (ERB)
- Published through SciTech Connect., 07/23/1979., "coo-4384-2", Meldrim, J.W.; Holmstrom, E.R.; Balog, G.E., and Ichthyological Associates, Inc., Ithaca, NY (USA)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14794330