Upper Sand Mountain Parish Solar Construction Workshops. Final performance report [electronic resource].
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy, 1983.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 33 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- The Upper Sand Mountain Parish continues to employ its initial strategy for involving high school vocational students with the pre cutting and instructional assembly aid to area families. The parish project works with high school vocational classes in pre fabbing solar devices into kit form. Then, students are employed to serve as instructors for Saturday construction workshops at the local electric cooperative. Trained teams of older and unemployed adults work with youth in building solar greenhouses for those able to pay labor. Over three years, the project has assisted and built 50 to 60 attached solar greenhouses with construction teams realizing in excess of $26,000 in labor for newly developed skills. The project continues to assist owners in monitoring and developing horticulturally as well as energy producing greenhouses. During the spring of 1982, the parish assisted greenhouse owners in marketing over 60,000 bedding plants worth over $3000. Monthly Greenhouse Owner Fellowship meetings have been a helpful setting for sharing of ideas and exchange of insights. A low interest solar loan fund, offering 5% loans for three years, has assisted over 30 families in going solar. The principle for this revolving fund has almost reached the $15,000 mark. The track record for loan repayments has been exceptional. Through workshops and tours we have aquainted hundreds of people across the southeast with low cost/low technology solar projects and a workable strategy for involving community groups and students in them. With church involvement, we have provided over $25,000 in grants to over 200 area families. Workshop information and plans are available to those interested for bread box solar water heaters, food dryers, window box collectors, insulation panels, and greenhouses.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Upper Sand Mountain Parish, Section, AL (USA)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14797475