Process feasibility study in support of Silicon Material Task I. Quarterly technical progress report (II) [electronic resource].
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy, 1976.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 29 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Preliminary data collection is very near completion for the silicon source materials--silane (SiH/sub 4/), silicon tetrachloride (SiCl/sub 4/), and silicon tetraiodide (SiI/sub 4/)----which are associated with the silane, Zn/SiCl/sub 4/, and H/sub 2//SiI/sub 4/ processes under consideration. Major effort was initiated on the silicon source materials--silicon tetrafluoride (SiF/sub 4/) and silicon difluoride (SiF/sub 2/)--for the transport process. Preliminary results for the critical constants and physical properties of silane (SiH/sub 4/) were tabulated. Initial background technical information exchange was accomplished on the following processes in the task integration meeting and subsequent discussions: Zn/SiCl/sub 4/ (Battelle); H/sub 2//SiI/sub 4/ (Batelle); silane (Union Carbide); transport (Motorola); induction plasma (Texas Instruments); arc furnace (Dow Corning), and SiF/sub 4/ reduction (Stanford). Several base case conditions including a plant size of 1000 metric tons/yr. were tentatively suggested and selected. Three such plants would provide the required 3000 metric tons/yr. of solar cell grade silicon. Procurement of data sources for numerous equipment types was accomplished for use in economic analysis. A review of methods for estimating capital investment was also initiated. (WDM)
- Published through SciTech Connect., 04/01/1976., "erda/jpl/954343-76/2", Yaws, C.L., and Lamar Univ., Beaumont, Tex. (USA). Dept. of Chemical Engineering
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14798121