Grover Cleveland School, Boston, Massachusetts. Refurbishment and status report [electronic resource].
- Cincinnati, Ohio : General Electric Company, 1977.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 35 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- General Electric Company and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The solar heating system is a retrofit installation on the roof of the Grover Cleveland Middle School in Boston. The system consists of a 4600 square foot solar collector array, a 2,000 gallon thermal energy storage (TES) tank, two liquid-to-air heating coils, three pumps (one being redundant), and various associated motorized valves, piping, controls, etc. The school's existing heating system utilized roof-mounted, electrically-heated air handlers to provide forced circulation of warm air. The solar heating coils were retrofitted up-stream of the existing electrical coils within the two roof-top air handlers. The system's 144 collectors are arrayed in three rows, each row containing two independent hydraulic circuits or banks of collectors. The array faces 15/sup 0/ east of true south and is tilted at 45/sup 0/ to the horizontal. The banks are not identical in size, but each contain nominally 12 pairs of collectors. Each pair of collectors is connected in series, with all pairs in a bank being fed in parallel from a common supply header. Some system difficulties developed during the 1974/75 heating season, and in mid 1975, that the system be refurbished. Refurbishment of the collectors, main pump, plumbing system, control console, and instrumentation is described. The operation and maintenance manual for the heating system is included as an appendix. (WHK)
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:coo/2626-77-1
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14799270