LOFT Monthly Progress Report for September 1980 [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1980. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Additional Creators:
- Idaho National Engineering Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The fourth nuclear powered small break test (L3-5/5A) was conducted on September 29, 1980. The test was initiated from a steady state operating condition wherein the core was generating heat at a maximum rate of approximately 52 kW/m. The test consisted of two parts: L3-5 simulated a 4-in. pipe break in a commercial pressurized water reactor; the second part, L3-5A, was intended to investigate natural circulation and steam generator heat transfer modes and also plan recovery using secondary system control in a situation where the pipe break and the ECCS accumulator are isolated from the primary coolant system. Initial test data indicated that all systems functioned as expected. The several hundred measurements of system coolant and reactor core conditions made during the three hour duration of the test will continue to be analyzed over the next several months. Preparations were also underway for conduting three tests in the Anticipated Transient Series. These tests, designated L6-1, L6-2, and L6-3 will provide information on plant control systems and operator response to transients in which the initiating event is not a loss-of-primary coolant. The transient tests to be conducted during September and others scheduled in the future will add greatly to understanding responses necessary to a transient condition. September 1980 marked the successful completion of FY-1980. Final closing values for each of the funding sources are included as part of this report. NRC and foreign funded tasks closed FY-1980 with underruns documented by identifying committed and uncommitted carryovers.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 10/01/1980., "egg-loft-5276", and N. C. Kaufman.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14801215