Space-reactor system and subsystem investigations [electronic resource] : cost and schedule estimates for reactor and shield subsystems technology development. SP-100 Program
- Downey, Calif : Rockwell International, 1983. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Additional Creators:
- Rockwell International and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- This report presents cost and schedule estimates of the technology development for reactor and shielding subsystems of a 100-kWe class space reactor electric system. The subsystems technology development (which includes reactor and shield subsystems ground testing) is supported by materials and processes development and component development. For the purpose of the cost estimate, seven generic types of reactor subsystems were used: uranium-zirconium hydride, NaK-cooled thermal reactor; lithium-cooled, refractory-clad fast reactor; Na- or K-cooled fast reactor; in-core thermionic reactor; inert gas-cooled particle fuel reactor; inert gas-cooled metal-clad fast reactor; and heat pipe-cooled fast reactor. Also three levels of technology were included for each of the generic types of reactor subsystem: current, improved, and advanced. The data in this report encompass all these technology levels. The shielding subsystem uses both gamma (heavy-metal) and neutron (hydrogenous material) shields. The shields considered in this report would be used in conjunction with unmanned payloads.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 06/30/1983., "esg-doe-13407", "DE84000112", and Determan, W.R.; Harty, R.B.; Hylin, C.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14801370