Hanging out, messing around, and geeking out : kids living and learning with new media / Mizuko Ito [and others] ; with contributions by Judd Antin [and others].
- Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xix, 419 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Itō, Mizuko
- The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation series on digital media and learning
- Media ecologies / Heather A. Horst, Becky Herr-Stephenson, and Laura Robinson -- Media ecologies : quantitative perspectives / Christo Sims -- Michelle / Lisa Tripp -- "You have another world to create" : teens and online hangouts / C.J. Pascoe -- The techne-mentor / Megan Finn -- Zalas, a digital-information virtuoso / Mizuko Ito -- Friendship / danah boyd -- Sharing snapshots of teen friendship and love / Katynka Z. Martínez -- From MySpace to Facebook : coming of age in networked public culture / Heather A. Horst -- Intimacy / C.J. Pascoe -- The public nature of mediated breakups / danah boyd -- Bob Anderson's story : "It was kind of a weird cyber growing-up thing" / Christo Sims -- Families / Heather A. Horst -- The Garcia family : a portrait of urban Los Angeles / Katnyka Z. Martínez -- The Miller family : a portrait of a Silicon Valley family / Heather A. Horst -- The Milvert family : a portrait of rural California / Christo Sims -- Gaming / Mizuko Ito and Matteo Bittanti -- Neopets : same game, different meanings / Laura Robinson and Heather A. Horst -- First-person play : subjectivity, gamer code, and Doom / Matteo Bittanti -- Learning and collaborating in Final Fantasy XI / Rachel Cody -- Machinima : from learners to producers / Matteo Bittanti -- Creative production / Patricia G. Lange and Mizuko Ito -- "MySpace is universal" : creative production in a trajectory of participation / Dan Perkel -- All in the family / Patricia G. Lange -- Making music together / Dilan Mahendran -- **Spoiler alert** : Harry Potter podcasting as collaborative production / Becky Herr-Stephenson -- Work / Mizuko Ito -- "I'm just a nerd. It's not like I'm a rock star or anything" / Mizuko Ito -- Technological prospecting in rural landscapes / Christo Sims -- Being more than "just a banker" : DIY youth culture and DIY capitalism in a high school computer club / Katynka Z. Martínez -- Final Fantasy XI : trouncing Tiamat / Rachel Cody -- Eddie : Neopets, neocapital, and making a virtual buck / Laura Robinson -- Conclusion -- Appendix I. Project overview -- Appendix II. Project descriptions -- Appendix III. Project index.
- This study reports on an ambitious three-year ethnographic investigation into how young people are living and learning with new media in varied settings - at home, in after school programs, and in online spaces.
- 9780262013369 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -398) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 14804125