Cold War modernists : art, literature, and American cultural diplomacy / Greg Barnhisel
- Barnhisel, Greg, 1969-
- New York : Columbia University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xii, 322 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Freedom, individualism, modernism -- "Advancing American art" : modernist painting and public-private partnerships -- Cold warriors of the book : American book programs in the 1950s -- Encounter magazine and the twilight of modernism -- Perspectives USA and the economics of Cold War modernism -- American modernism in American broadcasting : the voice of (middlebrow) America.
- "An examination of the legacy of modernism as a cultural movement and propaganda tool during the Cold War and the 1950s in America"--Provided by publisher.
- Modernism (Aesthetics)—Political aspects—United States—History—20th century
- Propaganda—United States—History—20th century
- Cold War—Political aspects—United States
- Art—Political aspects—United States—History—20th century
- Politics and literature—United States—History—20th century
- HISTORY / United States / General
- United States—Cultural policy
- United States—Politics and government—1945-1953
- United States—Politics and government—1953-1961
- United States—Intellectual life—20th century
- 9780231162302 (cloth : acid-free paper)
0231162308 (cloth : acid-free paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 14986937