DMP [electronic resource] : Simple, Scalable, and Submerged; FINAL TECHNICAL REPORT (REDACTED VERSION).
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2012. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 140 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy, United States. Department of Energy. Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- At the start of work by M3 Wave under the current DOE funding, the DMP technology was nominally at TRL2 with some physical model testing completed. With DOE and OWET funding, much progress was made on several fronts including: cost of energy modeling, 1:50 scale model testing, numerical modeling, site evaluation, cost of mooring, construction, operations and maintenance, regulatory, and power take off. Since the technology is stationary on the ocean floor, arrays can be very dense. Even though overall efficiency is lower than buoys, the total power per acre of the technology looks to be at least twice the output per acre of known buoy WEC technologies. If the assumptions and inputs are correct, then DMP ocean power devices could be commercially competitive with other offshore renewable energy resources, such as off-shore wind power. Leveraging the data, analysis, and engineering conducted on this project, larger 1:6 scale testing was recently completed under separate funding. All aspects tested at 1:6 suggest that the DMP is a viable and disruptive technology, leading M3 Wave to continue development of the DMP.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 02/08/2012., "doe/de0004572-1", Klure, Justin; Morrow, Mike; Delos-Reyes, Michael; McNatt, Cameron; Ozkan-Haller, Tuba; Kopf, Steven; Ai, Zhuan; Cleary, Casey; Goold, Caitlin; Vanithbuncha, Phattharawan., and M3 Wave Energy Systems LLC
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Final; 11/01/2010 - 10/31/2011
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14988445