Great books written in prison : essays on classic works from Plato to Martin Luther King, Jr. / edited by J. Ward Regan
- Jefferson, North Carolina : McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers, 
- Physical Description:
- viii, 258 pages ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Regan, J. Ward, 1967-
- Machine generated contents note: Socrates' Trial and Death by Execution / Farzad Mahootian -- Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy: Why Do the Innocent Suffer? / Heidi White -- Poetic Justice: The Civilization of the Heart in Malory's Morte Darthur / Stephanie Kiceluk -- A Prisoner of Circumstance: Cervantes, Don Quixote and Literary Self-Authorship in the Early Modern Period / Sean Eve -- Thomas Paine and The Age of Reason / J. Ward Regan -- Thoreau's Rhetoric of Resistance / Peter Diamond -- Epistle from Prison: Oscar Wilde's De Profundis [Epistola in Carcere et Vinculis] / Joseph J. Portanova -- Bertrand Russell, World War I and Analytic Philosophy / Phil Washburn -- His Majesty's Hotels: Gandhi's Satyagraha in South Africa / Martin F. Reichert -- Jawaharlal Nehru's Discovery of India: The Writing of History, Fighting for Freedom in Ahmandnager Jail / Tilottama Tharoor -- Drifter's Escape: Adolf Hitler and the Writing of Mein Kampf / Rolf Wolfswinkel -- Antonio Gramsci's The Prison Notebooks: A Humanist Reconstruction of Marxism / Brendan Hogan -- Jean Genet: Our Lady of the Flowers in Prison / Afrodesia E. McCannon -- In the Shadows of Prison: Sayyid Qutb's Visions of a Perfect World / Peter C. Valenti -- Martin Luther King, Jr., "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" and Non-Violent Social Transformation / Joyce Apsel.
- "Many of the world's most important historical figures were imprisoned for holding unpopular or heretical beliefs. Some used their time behind bars to write books that shaped the course of history. This collection of new essays offers a wide-ranging examination of influential works written--in whole or in part--while their authors were in prison or exile"--
- 9780786478033 paperback alkaline paper
0786478039 paperback alkaline paper
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 14991079