Ecological sustainability for non-timber forest products : dynamics and case studies of harvesting / edited by Charlie M. Shackleton, Ashok K. Pandey and Tamara Ticktin
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 280 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Shackleton, C. M. (Charles Michael), Pandey, A. K. (Ashok Kumar), 1940-, and Ticktin, Tamara
- Introduction : The Need to Understand the Ecological Sustainability of Non-Timber Forest Products Harvesting Systems / Charlie M. Shackleton, Tamara Ticktin and Ashok Pandey -- Non-Timber Forest Products in Livelihoods / Charlie M. Shackleton -- The Ecological Sustainability of Non-Timber Forest Product Harvest : Principles and Methods / Tamara Ticktin -- The Importance of Environmental History in Evaluating the Sustainability of Non-Timber Forest Product Harvesting Systems / Annika C. Dahlberg -- Harvesting of Palm Fruits can be Ecologically Sustainable : A Case of Buriti (Mauritia Flexuosa; Arecaceae) in Central Brazil / Maurício Bonesso Sampaio and Flavio Antonio Maës dos Santos -- Harvesting from the Tree of Life : Responsible Commercialization of Baobab in South Africa and Malawi / Lucy Welford, Sarah Venter, Christian Dohse and Itai Chibaya -- The Road to Sustainable Harvests in Wild Honey Collection : Experiences from the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve, Western Ghats, India / Anita Varghese, Snehlata Nath, Robert Leo and Sumin George Thomas -- The Sustainability of Small-Scale Fishery Harvests in the Context of Highly Variable Resources / Jaime Aburto, Georgina Cundill and Wolfgang Stotz -- The Sustainability of Soapberry (Sapindus Laurifolia Vahl) Fruit Harvest by the Soliga Community in South India / Siddappa Setty R. -- Moving from the Ecological Sustainability to the Participatory Management of Janaguba (Himatanthus Drasticus Apocynaceae) / Cristina Baldauf, Christiane E. Corrêa, Maísa Ciampi-Guillardi, Julia C. Sfair, Damasio D. Pessoa, Raydine C.F. Oliveira, Marilyn F. Machado, Cícero Íkaro Dantas Milfont, Terry C.H. Sunderland and Flavio A.M. dos Santos -- Sustainable Bark Harvesting of Important Medicinal Tree Species, India / Ashok K. Pandey -- Cork Oak (Quercus Suber L.) : A Case of Sustainable Bark Harvesting In Southern Europe / Augusta Costa and Graça Oliveira -- Sustainability of Golden Grass Flower Stalk Harvesting in the Brazilian Savanna / Isabel B. Schmidt, Isabel Benedetti Figueiredo and Tamara Ticktin -- Commercialization and Sustainability : When can they Co-Exist? / Rachel Wynberg and Jaci van Niekerk -- Good Governance : A Key Element of Sustainable Non-Timber Forest Product Harvesting Systems / Rebecca J. McLain and Steven Lawry -- Ecologically Sustainable Harvesting of Non-Timber Forest Products : Disarming the Narrative and the Complexity / Charlie M. Shackleton, Ashok K. Pandey and Tamara Ticktin.
- "There is growing knowledge about and appreciation of the importance of Non-timber Forest Products (NTFPs) to rural livelihoods in developing countries, and to a lesser extent, developed countries. However, there is also an assumption on the part of policy-makers that any harvesting of wild animal or plant products from the forests and other natural and modified ecosystems must be detrimental to the long-term viability of target populations and species. This book challenges this idea and shows that while examples of such negative impacts certainly exist, there are also many examples of sustainable harvesting systems for NTFPs. The chapters review and present coherent and scientifically sound information and case studies on the ecologically sustainable use of NTFPs. They also outline a general interdisciplinary approach for assessing the sustainability of NTFP harvesting systems at different scales. A wide range of case studies is included from Africa, Asia and South America, using plant and animal products for food, crafts, textiles, medicines and cosmetics"--
- 9780415728591 (hardback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 15193823