Tidal Phenomena [electronic resource] / edited by Helmut Wilhelm, Walter Zürn, Hans-Georg Wenzel
- Lecture Notes in Earth Sciences, 0930-0317 ; 66
- Tide-generating potential for the earth -- Tidal response of the solid Earth -- Analysis of earth tide observations -- Earth tide observations and interpretation -- The nearly-diurnal free wobble-resonance -- Ocean tides -- Earth tides and ocean tidal loading -- Ocean tides and earth rotation -- Chandler wobble and pole tide in relation to interannual atmosphere-ocean dynamics -- Atmospheric tides -- Long-period variations of solar irradiance -- Geomagnetic tides and related phenomena -- Tides in water saturated rock -- Tidal triggering of earthquakes and volcanic events -- Tidal tilt modification along an active fault -- Satellite orbit perturbations induced by tidal forces -- Tides of io -- Tidal effects in binary star systems -- Tidal interactions between galaxies.
- This book presents many types of tidal phenomena. The contributions evolved from a seminar in Oberwolfach, Black Forest, where German experts on tidal research met in October 1994 to present their views and experience to interested graduate students and scientists in an informal way. The seminar focused on earth tides, tides of the atmosphere and the oceans, including solar-induced variations of the magnetic field and climate, and tidal phenomena in the planetary system and universe. This book has an introductory character, but some contributions describe the state of the art in tidal research.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
View MARC record | catkey: 15198094