Super-Deep Continental Drilling and Deep Geophysical Sounding [electronic resource] / edited by Karl Fuchs, Yevgeny A. Kozlovsky, Anatoly Ivanovitch Krivtsov, Mark D. Zoback
- Exploration of the Deep Continental Crust, 0937-9738
- Continental Drilling: A Key Project of the International Lithosphere Program (ILP) -- Continental Drilling: A Key Project of the International Lithosphere Program (ILP) -- Exploring the Continental Crust Jointly by Drilling and by Deep Seismic Sounding -- Problems of Deep Geology of the USSR -- The Applicability of Geothermal Drilling Experience to Super-Deep Drilling -- Deep Studies of the Ore-Forming Systems by Drilling -- Cajon Pass Scientific Drilling Project: Drilling Overview -- Scientific Deep Drilling and Geophysical Sounding: A Mutual Scientifi Challenge to Understand the Processes Shaping the Earth’s Crust -- The Role of Continental Scientific Drilling in Studies of Earthquakes, Crustal Deformation, and Lithospheric Dynamics -- The USSR Integrated Program of Continental Crust Investigation and Studies of the Earth’s Deep Structure Under the “Globus” Project -- Regional Deep Geophysical Research -- Geodynamic Map of the USSR: A New Scientific Base for Regional and Deep Geological-Geophysical Investigations -- The Results of Seismic Investigations Along Geotraverses -- Structure and Tectonics in the Oberpfalz Area and Its Surroundings -- Geological Structure of the Krivbass Based on Results of Super-Deep Drilling and Regional Geological-Geophysical Studies -- Results of Siberian Deep Structure Investigation by Geophysical Methods -- Results and Further Development of Deep Seismic Investigations in the Northern Part of the GDR -- The Basite Component of Archaean Section of the Kola Super-Deep Well -- Techniques and Technology of Super-Deep Borehole Drilling -- The Technical Challenges and Scientific Results of the Salton Sea Scientific Drilling Project, USA: The Relevance of Geothermal Experience to Ultradeep Drilling -- KTB Pilot Hole — Results and Experiences of One-Year Operation -- Gas Exploration Beneath the Bavarian Alps — A Technical Challenge -- Scientific Drilling Technologies for Hostile Environments -- Technology of Ultradeep Core Drilling Without Pulling out Drill Pipes -- Investigations on the Dynamics of Caving when Drilling Crystalline Rocks -- A New High-Temperature Stable Mud Additive for Deep Drilling Operations -- Drilling and Grouting Muds for Super-Deep Drilling -- Long and Heavy Intermediate Casing Strings: Are They Necessary — How to Design Them -- Engineering and Technological Specific Features of Super-Deep Borehole Casing -- Drilling Technology of the Super-Deep Borehole Upper Parts in Sedimentary Sequences -- New Strategies for Ultradeep Coring in Crystalline Bedrock -- The KTB Drilling Rig — Technical Concept and Rig Layout for a Depth Capacity of 14 000 m -- Material Selection and Concept for the Drill String of the Continental Deep Drilling Project, KTB -- Evaluation of Hammerdrill-Potential for KTB -- Deep-Hole Drilling Using Rock-Breaking Tool Set with Super-Hard Composites -- Methods and Techniques of Scientific Research in Boreholes and Its Neighbourhood -- Investigation of Endogenous Processes on the Cores of Super-Deep Boreholes -- Scientific Drilling to Investigate the Physical and Chemical Nature of Fluids in the Earth’s Crust at 400–500 ºC -- A Change in Composition of Rocks, Mineral Phases and Trapped Gases in The Kola Super-Deep Borehole (SD-3) Section of the Archean Complex with Depth -- Complex Study of Core and Fluid Samples from the Ural Super-Deep Well -- In Situ Stress Measurements in Super-Deep Wells -- Deep Stress Measurements: A Key to Understanding Crustal Tectonics -- Vertical Seismic Profiling (VSP) and Ultradeep Borehole Section Prediction -- The Geological Nature of Seismic Boundaries in the Continental Crust -- Logging Concept and First Results from the KTB Pilot Borehole -- Peculiarities of Interpretation Methods of the Logs of Large-Diameter Boreholes.
- The articles in this volume were selected from a series of reports delivered in the So viet Union at Yaroslavl during the International Seminar "Super-deep drilling and deep geophysical research", which was organized and held in August 1988 by the Ministry of Geology of the USSR, jointly with the Inter-Union Commission on the Lithosphere. One of the most important problems of modem geology, is the state and prospects of further development of deep continental structure investigations, was discussed at the seminar with the participation of 245 scientists and specialists from 19 countries. At the plenary and sectional meetings of the seminar, 83 reports were delivered, discussions on the most interesting problems were organized, the exchange of ideas between the leading scientists a round table took place in discussion. The distinctive feature of the present collection of articles is the wide scope of the investigation of the Earth's crust. The reports elucidate such subjects of world impor tance as (1) achievements in implementation of major scientific programs investi gating deep Earth structure and plans for their further materialization; (2) theoretical problems of carrying out geological-geophysical explorations and drilling operations; and (3) new approaches to the study of the Earth's interior. The results of deep inves tigations of individual countries and organizations are considered, and concrete tech nical elaboration, methods of work execution, etc. are discussed.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
View MARC record | catkey: 15198147