Embattled reason, principled sentiment and political radicalism : quixotism in English novels, 1742-1801 / Dragoş Ivana
- Ivana, Dragoş
- Amsterdam ; New York : Rodopi, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 297 pages : 24 cm.
- Costerus, 0165-9618 ; 209
- Machine generated contents note: ch. 1 Henry Fielding and the Rhetoric of Quixotic Benevolence: Don Quixote in England -- ch. 2 The Institutionalization of a New Genre Based on a Productive Tautology: Henry Fielding's Comic Romance and Quixotism -- ch. 3 From Don Quixote's Lance to Parson Adams' Quixotic Benevolence -- ch. 4 Quixotism, Moral Sentiment and Mandevillian Economics in Sarah Fielding's The Adventures of David Simple and Volume the Last -- ch. 5 The Bad Effects of Sentimental Quixotism: Unprincipled Sentiment as Virtue in Henry Mackenzie's The Man of Feeling -- ch. 6 Feminizing Quixotism: The Politics of Genre and Gender in Charlotte Lennox's The Female Quixote -- ch. 7 A Tale of Faith and Love: Religious Enthusiasm and Natural Affection in Richard Graves' The Spiritual Quixote.
- 9789042037731 (pbk.) and 9042037733 (pbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 15200697