Operator Theoretical Methods and Applications to Mathematical Physics [electronic resource] : The Erhard Meister Memorial Volume / edited by Israel Gohberg, Wolfgang Wendland, António Ferreira dos Santos, Frank-Olme Speck, Francisco Sepúlveda Teixeira
- Basel : Birkhäuser Basel : Imprint: Birkhäuser, 2004.
- Physical Description:
- XV, 475 pages : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Gohberg, I. (Israel), 1928-2009, Wendland, Wolfgang, Santos, António Ferreira dos, Speck, F.-O. (Frank-Olme), Teixeira, Francisco Sepúlveda, and SpringerLink (Online service)
- Operator Theory: Advances and Applications ; 147
- Obituary -- Report on the Scientific International Relationsof the Research Group of E. Meister -- Curriculum Vitae -- Publications of Erhard Meister -- Supervision of PhD Dissertations -- In Memory of Erhard Meister -- Is Electromagnetism any Use? -- L. Meister How Could it Happen? -- Erhard Meister — Friend and Colleague -- Thank You — Erhard -- Our First Visit to Oberwolfach -- Our Meetings with Erhard Meister -- Some Canadian Collaboration -- Reminiscenses of Erhard Meister at Saarbrücken and Berlin -- More than Forty Years with Erhard Meister -- Remembering Erhard Meister -- The Family Man -- Recalling Meetings with Erhard Meister -- A View from Scotland -- The Lisbon Connection -- Prof. Meister’s Relations to Freiberg -- Quasistatic Problems in Viscoplasticity Theory I:Models with Linear Hardening -- Wiener-Hopf Determinants with Fisher-Hartwig Symbols -- Convolution Type Operators with Symbols Generated by Slowly Oscillating and Piecewise Continuous Matrix Functions -- Asymptotically Good Pseudomodes for Toeplitz Matrices and Wiener-Hopf Operators -- Crack-type Boundary Value Problems of Electroelasticity -- On a Class of Wedge Diffraction Problems Posted by Erhard Meister -- Corner Singularities of Maxwell Interface and Eddy Current Problems -- On Some Aspects of the Analysis of Incompressible Flow Through Cascades of Profiles -- On Inversion of Convolution Integral Operators on a Finite Interval -- Some Algebras of Functions with Fourier Coefficients in Weighted Orlicz Sequence Spaces -- Invertibility at Infinity of Band-Dominated Operators on the Space of Essentially Bounded Functions -- Half Plane Diffraction Problems Using Alternative Integral Representations -- The Integral Equation Method for Dipole Equilibrium -- Characterization of Multipliers in Pairs of Besov Spaces -- Boundary Variational Inequalities in the Theory of Interface Crack Problems -- Limiting Absorption Principle for a Class of Difference Equations -- Fredholmness of Convolution Type Operators -- The Distribution of Eigenvalues of Some Fractal Elliptic Operators and Weyl Measures.
- This volume is devoted to the life and work of the applied mathematician Professor Erhard Meister (1930-2001). He was a member of the editorial boards of this book series Operator The ory: Advances and Applications as well as of the journal Integral Equations and Operator Theory, both published by Birkhauser (now part of Springer-Verlag). Moreover he played a decisive role in the foundation of these two series by helping to establish contacts between Birkhauser and the founder and present chief editor of this book series after his emigration from Moldavia in 1974. The volume is divided into two parts. Part A contains reminiscences about the life of E. Meister including a short biography and an exposition of his professional work. Part B displays the wide range of his scientific interests through eighteen original papers contributed by authors with close scientific and personal relations to E. Meister. We hope that a great part of the numerous features of his life and work can be re-discovered from this book.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
View MARC record | catkey: 15204009