Engineering practice in a global context : understanding the technical and the social / editors, Bill Williams, Polytechnic Institute of Setubal, Portugal, José Figueiredo, IST, Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal, James Trevelyan, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, Australia
- 1. On the historical nature of engineering practice / Antonio Dias de Figueiredo -- 2. Towards a theoretical framework for engineering practice / James Trevelyan -- 3. The practical confrontation of engineers with a new design endeavour : the case of digital humanities / Frédéric Kaplan and Dominique Vinck -- 4. Engineering design teams : considering the forests and the trees / Jim Borgford-Parnell, Katherine Deibel and Cynthia J. Atman -- 5. Working together across disciplines / Robin S. Adams and Tiago Forin -- 6. Engineering problem-solving in social contexts : 'collective wisdom' and 'ba' / Rachel Itabashi-Campbell and Julia Gluesing -- 7. Finding workable solutions : Portuguese engineering experience / Bill Williams and José Figueiredo -- 8. Going back to heterogeneous engineering : the case of micro and nanotechnologies / Matthieu Hubert and Dominique Vinck -- 9. Professional lock-in : structural engineers, architects and the disconnect between discourse and practice / Andrew Chilvers and Sarah Bell -- 10. Observations of South Asian engineering practice / James Trevelyan -- 11. Mathematics in engineering practice : tacit trumps tangible / Eileen Goold and Frank Devitt -- 12. Engineers' professional learning : through the lens of practice / Donna Rooney, Keith Willey, Anne Gardner, David Boud, Ann Reich and Terry Fitzgerald.
- "This book characterizes the technical and social aspects of engineering practice and to look at ways that this characterization can be important in the design of engineering courses in higher education. The principal contours of the work include the study of engineering practice and its relation to knowledge, competences and to cross-disciplinary and identity contexts. Empirical data on the practice of engineering professionals are presented from a range of companies in different national contexts, including engineering design companies and engineering innovation leaders"--
- 9781315879369 (ebook : PDF)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in print format.
View MARC record | catkey: 15208391