The myth of the cultural Jew : culture and law in Jewish tradition / Roberta Rosenthal Kwall
- Kwall, Roberta Rosenthal, 1955-
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 315 pages ; 25 cm
- The myth of the cultural Jew -- Culture, law, and the development of Jewish tradition -- Origins and development of Jewish law: a top-down view -- The norms of Jewish law observance: a bottom-up view -- The birth of Jewish denominations in modernity and their divergent views on Jewish law -- Foundational conflicts: "who is a Jew" and Sabbath laws -- Homosexuality -- Women and synagogue ritual -- The State of Israel's role in forging Jewish law and culture in the post-Holocaust era -- Jewish identity in the United States -- The lessons of cultural analysis.
- 9780195373707 ((hardback) : alk. paper)
0195373707 ((hardback) : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 15413051