Understanding street culture : poverty, crime, youth and cool / Jonathan Ilan
- Ilan, Jonathan
- London ; New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- x, 205 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Machine generated contents note: -- 1. Introduction -- 2. Understanding Urban Poverty, Culture and Crime -- 3. Demography and Development: Class, Gender and Ethnicity -- 4. Space, Territory and Gangs -- 5. Street Life and Street Crime -- 6. From Street Expressivity to Commodifiable Cool -- 7. Street Flows in the Global Ghetto -- 8. Resistance, Ghetto Politics and the Social Control of the Slum -- 9. Conclusion.
- "An insightful and theoretically informed overview of street culture in various parts of the world - its origins, functions, manifestations and appeal - examining both its bearing on criminal lifestyles and on the cultivation of 'cool.' Contemporary examples and original research are used to evidence new ways of thinking about street culture today"--
- 9781137028594 (hardback), 1137028599 (hardback), 9781137028587 (paperback), and 1137028580 (paperback)
- "Macmillan education."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 15413112