- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
- Introduction. We propose a new model of distribution of submillimeter sized lunar soil grains on the lunar surface. We propose that in the uppermost millimeter or two of the lunar surface, soil-grains are size graded with the finest nanoscale dust on top and larger micron-scale particles below. This standard state is perturbed by ejecta deposition of larger grains at the lunar surface, which have a coating of dusty layer that may not have substrates of intermediate sizes. Distribution of solar wind elements (SWE), agglutinates, vapor deposited nanophase Fe0 in size fractions of lunar soils and ir spectra of size fractions of lunar soils are compatible with this model. A direct test of this model requires bringing back glue-impregnated tubes of lunar soil samples to be dissected and examined on Earth.
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 20050166969.
Lunar and Planetary Science XXXVI, Part 2; LPI-Contrib-1234-Pt-2.
- Copyright, Distribution under U.S. Government purpose rights.
View MARC record | catkey: 15414571