Histoire generale du Cotentin
- approximately 1759.
- Physical Description:
- 508 pages : vellum-covered boards ; 31 cm
- Language Note:
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unrestricted access.
- The manuscript book is a history of the Cotentin peninsula, including the towns and parishes of the diocese of Coutances, France.
- In Rare Books and Manuscripts, University Libraries, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pa. (#PS-V-MS-34)
Paper watermarked 1752.
- Administrative History:
- The Cotentin Peninsula, also known as the Cherbourg Peninsula, is a peninsula in Normandy that forms part of the northwest coast of France. It extends north-westward into the English Channel, toward Great Britain. To its west lie the Channel Islands and to the southwest lies the Brittany Peninsula. The Cotentin peninsula formed part of the Roman geographical area of Armorica. The town known today as Coutances, capital of the Unelli, a Gaulish tribe, acquired the name of Constantia in 298 during the reign of Roman emperor Constantius Chlorus. The base of the peninsula, called in Latin the pagus Constantinus, joined together with the pagus Coriovallensis centred upon Cherbourg to the north, subsequently became known as the Cotentin. Under the Carolingians, it was administered by viscounts drawn successively from members of the Saint-Sauveur family, at their seat Saint-Sauveur on the Douve.
View MARC record | catkey: 15420867