Myths and legends of the Sioux / by Mrs. Marie L. McLaughlin ; with illustrations from original drawings
- McLaughlin, Marie L., 1842-
- Bismarck, N.D. : Bismarck Tribune Co., 1916.
- Physical Description:
- 200 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Full Text available online
- The forgotten ear of corn -- The little mice -- The pet rabbit -- The pet donkey -- The rabbit and the elk -- The rabbit and the grouse girls -- The faithful lovers -- The artichoke and the muskrat -- The rabbit, and the bear with the flint body -- Story of the lost wife -- The raccoon and the crawfish -- Legend of Standing Rock -- Story of the peace pipe -- A bashful courtship -- The simpleton's wisdom -- Little Brave and the Medicine Woman -- The bound children -- The signs of corn -- Story of the rabbits -- How the rabbit lost his tail -- Unktomi and the arrowheads -- The bear and the rabbit hunt buffalo -- The brave who went on the warpath alone and won the name of the Lone Warrior -- The Sioux who marries the Crow chief's daughter -- The boy and the turtles -- The hermit, or the gift of corn -- The mysterious butte -- The wonderful turtle -- The man and the oak -- Story of the two young friends -- The story of the pet crow -- The "Wasna" (Pemmican Man) and the Unktomi (Spider) -- The resuscitation of the only daughter -- The story of the pet crane -- White Plume -- Story of Pretty Feathered Forehead -- The four brothers or Inyanhoksila (Stone Boy) -- The Unktomi (Spider), two widows and the red plums.
- 9781176866089 (pbk.)
- Richard Minsky’s American Trade Bindings with Native American Themes 1875-1933 Exhibition Collection.
- Rare Books copy: Formerly part of book artist Richard Minsky's American Trade Bindings with Native American Themes 1875-1933 Exhibition Collection.
- Frontispiece: photographic portrait of the author.
Rare Books copy is one of the specimens collected by book artist Richard Minsky and described in his exhibition catalog American Trade Bindings with Native American Themes, 1875-1933: Stockport, New York : Richard Minsky, 2014.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Rare Books copy: Purchased with funds from the Helen F. Faust Women Writers Acquisition and Travel Fund; 2014.
Rare Books copy: Purchased from Richard Minsky, book artist; 2014.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Minsky, R. American trade bindings with Native American themes 1875-1933, page 57
View MARC record | catkey: 15421113