Influence of UAS Pilot Communication and Execution Delay on Controller's Acceptability Ratings of UAS-ATC Interactions
- Buker, Timothy J
- October 5, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- 1 electronic document
- Additional Creators:
- Battiste, Vernol, Shively, Jay, Strybel, Thomas Z., Vu, Kim-Phuong L., Morales, Gregory, and Chiappe, Dan
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Successful integration of UAS in the NAS will require that UAS interactions with the air traffic management system be similar to interactions between manned aircraft and air traffic management. For example, UAS response times to air traffic controller (ATCo) clearances should be equivalent to those that are currently found to be acceptable with manned aircraft. Prior studies have examined communication delays with manned aircraft. Unfortunately, there is no analogous body of research for UAS. The goal of the present study was to determine how UAS pilot communication and execution delays affect ATCos' acceptability ratings of UAS pilot responses when the UAS is operating in the NAS. Eight radar-certified controllers managed traffic in a modified ZLA sector with one UAS flying in it. In separate scenarios, the UAS pilot verbal communication and execution delays were either short (1.5 s) or long (5 s) and either constant or variable. The ATCo acceptability of UAS pilot communication and execution delays were measured subjectively via post trial ratings. UAS verbal pilot communication delay, were rated as acceptable 92% of the time when the delay was short. This acceptability level decreased to 64% when the delay was long. UAS pilot execution delay had less of an influence on ATCo acceptability ratings in the present stimulation. Implications of these findings for UAS in the NAS integration are discussed.
- Other Subject(s):
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 20140011009.
Digital Avionics System Conference 2013; 5-10 Oct. 2013; Syracuse, NY; United States.
- Copyright, Distribution as joint owner in the copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 15424739