- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The heavy gas test medium has recently been changed in the Transonic Dynamics Tunnel (TDT) at the NASA Langley Research Center. A NASA Construction of Facilities project has converted the TDT heavy gas from dichlorodifluoromethane (R12) to 1,1,1,2 tetrafluoroethane (R134a). The facility s heavy gas processing system was extensively modified to implement the conversion to R134a. Additional system modifications have improved operator interfaces, hardware reliability, and quality of the research data. The facility modifications included improvements to the heavy gas compressor and piping, the cryogenic heavy gas reclamation system, and the heavy gas control room. A series of wind tunnel characterization and calibration tests are underway. Results of the flow characterization tests show the TDT operating envelope in R134a to be very similar to the previous operating envelope in R12.
- Other Subject(s):
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 20040090500.
AIAA Paper 98-2710.
20th AIAA Advanced Measurement and Ground Testing Technology Conference; 15-18 Jun. 1998; Albuquerque, NM; United States.
- Copyright, Distribution under U.S. Government purpose rights.
View MARC record | catkey: 15635039