Rainfall Across the Globe : Precipitation. The Role of Landmass in Monsoon Development. The Relationship Between Precipitation and Sea Surface Temperature on Decadal Time Scales
- Suarez, Max
- Physical Description:
- 1 electronic document
- Additional Creators:
- Chao, Winston, Pegion, Philip, and Schubert, Siegfried
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The numerical simulation of precipitation helps scientists understand the complex mechanisms that determine how and why rainfall is distributed across the globe. Simulation aids in the development of forecastin,g efforts that inform policies regarding the management of water resources. Precipitation modeling also provides short-term warnings, for emergencies such as flash floods and mudslides. Just as precipitation modeling can warn of an impending abundance of rainfall, it can help anticipate the absence of rainfall in drought. What constitutes a drought? A meteorological drought simply means that an area is getting a significantly lower amount of rain than usual over a prolonged period of time and an agricultural drought is based on the level of soil moisture.
- Other Subject(s):
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 20020090263.
2000 NCCS Highlights: Enabling NASA Earth and Space Sciences; 56-65.
- No Copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 15637637