The Planetary Data System Distributed Inventory System
- Hughes, J. Steven
- Physical Description:
- 1 electronic document
- Additional Creators:
- McMahon, Susan K.
- hdl.handle.net , Connect to this object online.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The advent of the World Wide Web (Web) and the ability to easily put data repositories on-line has resulted in a proliferation of digital libraries. The heterogeneity of the underlying systems, the autonomy of the individual sites, and distributed nature of the technology has made both interoperability across the sites and the search for resources within a site major research topics. This article will describe a system that addresses both issues using standard Web protocols and meta-data labels to implement an inventory of on-line resources across a group of sites. The success of this system is strongly dependent on the existence of and adherence to a standards architecture that guides the management of meta-data within participating sites.
- Other Subject(s):
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 20000057443.
- No Copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 15641082