- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
- This paper introduces an extension of entropy-constrained residual vector quantization (VQ) where intervector dependencies are exploited. The method, which we call conditional entropy-constrained residual VQ, employs a high-order entropy conditioning strategy that captures local information in the neighboring vectors. When applied to coding images, the proposed method is shown to achieve better rate-distortion performance than that of entropy-constrained residual vector quantization with less computational complexity and lower memory requirements. Moreover, it can be designed to support progressive transmission in a natural way. It is also shown to outperform some of the best predictive and finite-state VQ techniques reported in the literature. This is due partly to the joint optimization between the residual vector quantizer and a high-order conditional entropy coder as well as the efficiency of the multistage residual VQ structure and the dynamic nature of the prediction.
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 19970019691.
Accession ID: 97N21370.
IEEE Transactions on Image Processing(ISSN 1057-7149); Volume 5; No. 2; 1-9.
- Copyright, Distribution as joint owner in the copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 15648170