A portable MPI-based parallel vector template library
- Sheffler, Thomas J.
- Physical Description:
- 1 electronic document
- hdl.handle.net , Connect to this object online.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- This paper discusses the design and implementation of a polymorphic collection library for distributed address-space parallel computers. The library provides a data-parallel programming model for C++ by providing three main components: a single generic collection class, generic algorithms over collections, and generic algebraic combining functions. Collection elements are the fourth component of a program written using the library and may be either of the built-in types of C or of user-defined types. Many ideas are borrowed from the Standard Template Library (STL) of C++, although a restricted programming model is proposed because of the distributed address-space memory model assumed. Whereas the STL provides standard collections and implementations of algorithms for uniprocessors, this paper advocates standardizing interfaces that may be customized for different parallel computers. Just as the STL attempts to increase programmer productivity through code reuse, a similar standard for parallel computers could provide programmers with a standard set of algorithms portable across many different architectures. The efficacy of this approach is verified by examining performance data collected from an initial implementation of the library running on an IBM SP-2 and an Intel Paragon.
- Other Subject(s):
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 19960026764.
Accession ID: 96N28324.
- No Copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 15650500