- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- It has become increasingly important to conduct interdisciplinary environmental research assessments, both nationally and internationally. For this reason, the Committee for a Pilot Study on Database Interfaces was charged to review and advise on data interfacing activities. The committee used six case studies (1) to identify and understand the most important problems associated with collecting, integrating, and analyzing environmental data from local to global spatial scales and over a very wide range of temporal scales; and (2) to elaborate the common barriers to interfacing data of disparate sources and types. Consistent with the committee's charge, the primary focus was the interfacing of geophysical and ecological data. The case studies used by the committee were: The Impact Assessment Project for Drought Early Warning in the Sahel, The National Acid Precipitation Assessment Program, The H.J. Andrew Experimental Forest Long-Term Ecological Research Site, The Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, The First International Satellite Land Surface Climatology Project (ISLSCP) Field Experiment, and The California Cooperative Oceanic Fisheries Investigation. The committee derived a number of lessons from the case studies, and these lessons are summarized at the end of each case study and analyzed in the last chapter. Some are generic in nature; others are more specific to a discipline or project. The conclusions and recommendations are based on the committee's analysis of the case studies and additional research. They are organized according to four major areas of barriers or challenges to the effective interfacing of diverse environmental data. In the final section the committee offers a set of broadly applicable principles (Ten Keys to Success) that can be used by scientists and data managers in planning and conducting interfacing activities.
- Other Subject(s):
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 19960002977.
Accession ID: 96N12986.
- Copyright, Distribution under U.S. Government purpose rights.
View MARC record | catkey: 15652318