Enhanced Damage-Resistant Optics for Spaceflight Laser Systems : Workshop findings and recommendations
- Schulze, Norman
- JAN 1, 1991.
- Physical Description:
- 1 electronic document
- Additional Creators:
- Seitel, Steven C., Schmid, Ansgar, Soileau, M. J., Theon, John S., Rainer, Frank, Cimolino, Marc, Guenther, Arthur, Walz, William, and Mcminn, Ted
- hdl.handle.net , Connect to this object online.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- NASA has defined a program to address critical laser-induced damage issues peculiar to its remote sensing systems. The Langley Research Center (LaRC), with input from the Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC), has developed a program plan focusing on the certification of optical materials for spaceflight applications and the development of techniques to determine the reliability of such materials under extended laser exposures. This plan involves cooperative efforts between NASA and optics manufacturers to quantify the performance of optical materials for NASA systems and to ensure NASA's continued application of the highest quality optics possible for enhanced system reliability. A review panel was organized to assess NASA's optical damage concerns and to evaluate the effectiveness of the LaRC proposed program plan. This panel consisted of experts in the areas of laser-induced damage, optical coating manufacture, and the design and development of laser systems for space. The panel was presented information on NASA's current and planned laser remote sensing programs, laser-induced damage problems already encountered in NASA systems, and the proposed program plan to address these issues. Additionally, technical presentations were made on the state of the art in damage mechanisms, optical materials testing, and issues of coating manufacture germane to laser damage.
- Other Subject(s):
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 19940006582.
Accession ID: 94N11054.
10-12 Sep. 1991; Newport News, VA; United States.
- No Copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 15663964