Mathematics of Energy and Climate Change [electronic resource] : International Conference and Advanced School Planet Earth, Portugal, March 21-28, 2013 / edited by Jean-Pierre Bourguignon, Rolf Jeltsch, Alberto Adrego Pinto, Marcelo Viana
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- XVI, 430 pages 120 illustrations, 78 illustrations in color : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Bourguignon, J.-P. (Jean-Pierre), 1947-, Jeltsch, Rolf, Pinto, Alberto A., Viana, Marcelo, and SpringerLink (Online service)
- 1 Max-Stability at Work (or not): Estimating Return Levels for Daily Rainfall Data: M.I. Fraga Alves -- 2 Impacts of Vaccination and Behavior Change In The Optimal Intervention Strategy for Controlling the Transmission of Tuberculosis: T. Debas Aweke et al -- 3 Modeling of Extremal Earthquakes: M. Brito et al -- 4 Detonation Wave Solutions and Linear Stability in a Four Component Gas with Bimolecular Chemical Reaction: F. Carvalho et al -- 5 Mathematical Aspects of Coagulation-Fragmentation Equations: F. P. da Costa -- 6 Resampling-Based Methodologies in Statistics of Extremes: Environmental and Financial Applications: M. Ivette Gomes et al -- 7 On the Optimal Control of Flow Driven Dynamic Systems: Teresa Grilo et al -- 8 An Overview of Network Bifurcations in the Functionalized Cahn-Hilliard Free Energy: N. Kraitzman et al -- 9 The Economics of Ethanol: Use of Indirect Policy Instruments: Ch.B. Moss et al -- 10 Geostatistical Analysis in Extremes: An Overview: M.M. Neves -- 11 Reducing the Minmax Regret Robust Shortest Path Problem with Finite Multi-Scenarios: M.M.B. Pascoal et al -- 12 Mathematics of Energy and Climate Change: From the Solar Radiation to the Impacts of Regional Projections: M. Gonzalez Pereira -- 13 Infinite Horizon Optimal Control for Resources Management in Agriculture: F. Lobo Pereira -- 14 Distributed Reasoning: P, Rodrigues et al -- 15 Multiscale Internet Statistics: Unveiling the Hidden Behavior: P. Salvador et al -- 16 The Role of Clouds, Aerosols and Galactic Cosmic Rays in Climate Change: F. Duarte Santos -- 17 Long Time Behaviour and Self-Similarity in an Addition Model with Slow Input of Monomers: R. Sasportes -- 18 Modelling the Fixed Bed Adsorption Dynamics of CO2 /CH4 in 13X Zeolite for Biogas Upgrading and CO2 Sequestration: J.A.C. Silva et al -- 19 Detection of Additive Outliers in Poisson INAR(1) Time Series: M. Eduarda Silva et al -- 20 From Ice to Penguins: the Role of Mathematics in Antarctic Research: J.C. Xavier et al.
- The focus of this volume is research carried out as part of the program Mathematics of Planet Earth, which provides a platform to showcase the essential role of mathematics in addressing planetary problems and creating a context for mathematicians and applied scientists to foster mathematical and interdisciplinary developments that will be necessary to tackle a myriad of issues and meet future global challenges. Earth is a planet with dynamic processes in its mantle, oceans and atmosphere creating climate, causing natural disasters, and influencing fundamental aspects of life and life-supporting systems. In addition to these natural processes, human activity has increased to the point where it influences the global climate, impacts the ability of the planet to feed itself and threatens the stability of these systems. Issues such as climate change, sustainability, man-made disasters, control of diseases and epidemics, management of resources, risk analysis, and global integration have come to the fore. Written by specialists in several fields of mathematics and applied sciences, this book presents the proceedings of the International Conference and Advanced School Planet Earth, Mathematics of Energy and Climate Change held in Lisbon, Portugal, in March 2013, which was organized by the International Center of Mathematics (CIM) as a partner institution of the international program Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013. The book presents the state of the art in advanced research and ultimate techniques in modeling natural, economical and social phenomena. It constitutes a tool and a framework for researchers and graduate students, both in mathematics and applied sciences.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Part Of:
- Springer eBooks
View MARC record | catkey: 15709162