Social Influence and Sustainable Consumption [electronic resource] / by Elizabeth B Goldsmith
- International Series on Consumer Science, 2191-5660
- Introduction -- I. Social Influence -- Introduction to Social Influence.-Social Influence History and Theories -- Values, Attitudes, Goals, and Motivation.-Communication and Social Media -- II. Consumption -- What We Buy and Who We Listen To: The Science of Consumption -- Decision Making and Problem Solving -- Households: Productivity and Consumption -- III. Sustainability -- Social Influence and Sustainable Behavior -- Sustainably Managing Resources of the Built Environment -- Influencing Behavior: Four Strategies.
- This forward-looking volume examines the role of social influence--including social media--in creating and fostering sustainable consumer behavior. Using the concepts behind social influence theory as a launching point, it describes humans' need for social networks and identifies the core components of buying, such as consumer goals and the gathering of opinions. From here, chapters examine ways social influence can encourage and support sustainable consumption, from buying green products to recycling packaging materials to supporting environmentally responsible brands. Real-world examples, critical thinking questions, a breakdown of strategies for influencing behavior, and pertinent references give the book extra dimensions of value. Among the featured topics: Social influence: why it matters. Values, attitudes, opinions, goals, and motivation. What we buy and who we listen to: the science and art of consumption. Decision making and problem solving. Households: productivity and consumption. Sustainably managing resources in the built environment. Between its nuanced understanding of social connections and its up-to-date lens on technology, Social Influence and Sustainable Consumption is must reading for researchers in the fields of consumer psychology, consumer behavior, and consumer sustainability.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
View MARC record | catkey: 15709335