MAPGEN : Mixed-Initiative Activity Planning for the Mars Exploration Rover Mission
- Morris, Paul
- Physical Description:
- 1 electronic document
- Additional Creators:
- Bresina, John, Hsu, Jennifer, McCurdy, Michael, Vera, Alonso, Yglesias, Jeffrey, Ai-Chang, Mitchell, Jonsson, Ari, Kanefsky, Bob, and Rajan, Kanna
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- This document describes the Mixed initiative Activity Plan Generation system MAPGEN. This system is one of the critical tools in the Mars Exploration Rover mission surface operations, where it is used to build activity plans for each of the rovers, each Martian day. The MAPGEN system combines an existing tool for activity plan editing and resource modeling, with an advanced constraint-based reasoning and planning framework. The constraint-based planning component provides active constraint and rule enforcement, automated planning capabilities, and a variety of tools and functions that are useful for building activity plans in an interactive fashion. In this demonstration, we will show the capabilities of the system and demonstrate how the system has been used in actual Mars rover operations. In contrast to the demonstration given at ICAPS 03, significant improvement have been made to the system. These include various additional capabilities that are based on automated reasoning and planning techniques, as well as a new Constraint Editor support tool. The Constraint Editor (CE) as part of the process for generating these command loads, the MAPGEN tool provides engineers and scientists an intelligent activity planning tool that allows them to more effectively generate complex plans that maximize the science return each day. The key to the effectiveness of the MAPGEN tool is an underlying constraint-based planning and reasoning engine.
- Other Subject(s):
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 20040084378.
14th International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling (ICAPS 04); 3-7 Jun. 2004; Whistler; Canada.
- No Copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 15965079