- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
- Two approaches for the identification of internal gravity waves in sheared and unsheared homogeneous stratified turbulence are investigated. First, the phase angle between the vertical velocity and density fluctuations is considered. It was found, however, that a continuous distribution of the phase angle is present in weakly and strongly stratified flow. Second, a projection onto the solution of the linearized inviscid equations of motion of unsheared stratified flow is investigated. It was found that a solution of the fully nonlinear viscous Navier-Stokes equations can be represented by the linearized inviscid solution. The projection yields a decomposition into vertical wave modes and horizontal vortical modes.
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 20020091899.
2002 Summer Program of the Center for Turbulence Research; 2002; Unknown.
- Copyright, Distribution as joint owner in the copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 15967137