An X-ray Investigation of the NGC 346 Field in the SMC (2) : The Field Population
- Corcoran, M. F.
- Physical Description:
- 1 electronic document
- Additional Creators:
- Moffat, A. F. J., Marchenko. S., White, Nicholas E., Stevens, I. R., Naze, Y., Skalkowski, G., Manfroid, J., and Hartwell, J. M.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- We present results from a Chandra observation of the NGC 346 cluster, the ionizing source of N66, the most luminous H II region and the largest star formation region in the SMC. In the first part of this investigation, we have analysed the X-ray properties of the cluster itself and the remarkable star HD 5980. But the field contains additional objects of interest. In total, 79 X-ray point sources were detected in the Chandra observation and we investigate here their characteristics in details. The sources possess rather high HRs, and their cumulative luminosity function is steeper than the SMC's trend. Their absorption columns suggest that most of the sources belong to NGC 346. Using new UBVRI imaging with the ESO 2.2m telescope, we also discovered possible counterparts for 36 of these X-ray sources. Finally, some objects show X-ray and/or optical variability, and thus need further monitoring.
- Other Subject(s):
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 20020070517.
- No Copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 15967768