- Physical Description:
- 1 electronic document
- hdl.handle.net , Connect to this object online.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Through a Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) contract with NASA's Glenn Research Center, Rhenium Alloys, Inc., of Elyria, Ohio, developed a new method for producing rhenium combustion chambers. Using room temperature isostatic pressing, Rhenium Alloys, Inc., compacted rhenium powder to a high density and into the approximated end shape and dimension of the rocket thruster. The item was then subjected to sintering and containerless hot isostatic pressing, increasing the density of the powder metallurgy part. With the new manufacturing process, both production time and costs are reduced while quality is significantly increased. The method enabled the company to deliver two chemical rocket thrusters to Glenn Research Center. The company makes rhenium a practical choice in manufacturing fields, including the aerospace, nuclear, and electronic industries, with upcoming opportunities projected in medical instrumentation.
- Other Subject(s):
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 20020062185.
Spinoff 2001: Special Millennium Feature; 117; NASA/NP-2001-04-264-HQ.
- No Copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 15968115