Troposphere-Stratosphere Dynamic Coupling Under Strong and Weak Polar Vortex Conditions
- Graf, Hans-F.
- Physical Description:
- 1 electronic document
- Additional Creators:
- Hansen, James E. and Perlwitz, Judith
- hdl.handle.net , Connect to this object online.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The relationship between Northern Hemisphere (NH) tropospheric and stratospheric wave-like anomalies of spherical zonal wave number (ZWN) 1 is studied by applying Canonical Correlation Analysis (CCA). A lag-correlation technique is used with 10-day lowpass filtered daily time series of 50- and 500-hPa geopotential heights. Generally stratospheric circulation is determined by ultralong tropospheric planetary waves. During winter seasons characterized either by any anomalously strong or weak polar winter vortex different propagation characteristics for waves of ZWN 1 are observed. The non-linear perspective of the results have implications for medium range weather forecast and climate sensitivity experiments.
- Other Subject(s):
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 20010047840.
- No Copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 15969426