Directionally Solidified Aluminum - 7 wt% Silicon Alloys : Comparison of Earth and International Space Station Processed Samples
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
- Primary dendrite arm spacings of Al-7 wt% Si alloy directionally solidified in low gravity environment of space (MICAST-6 and MICAST-7: Thermal gradient approx. 19 to 26 K/cm, Growth speeds varying from 5 to 50 microns/s show good agreement with the Hunt-Lu model. Primary dendrite trunk diameters of the ISS processed samples show a good fit with a simple analytical model based on Kirkwood s approach, proposed here. Natural convection, a) decreases primary dendrite arm spacing. b) appears to increase primary dendrite trunk diameter.
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 20130003181.
American Society for Gravitational and Space Research (ASGSR); 28 Nov. - 2 Dec. 2012; New Orleans, LA; United States.
- Copyright, Distribution as joint owner in the copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 15975964