In Flight Evaluation of Active Inceptor Force-Feel Characteristics and Handling Qualities
- Malpica, Carlos A.
- May 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 1 electronic document
- Additional Creators:
- Lusardi, Jeff A., Blanken, Chris L., Ott, Carl Raymond, and von Gruenhagen, Wolfgang
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available. and Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The effect of inceptor feel-system characteristics on piloted handling qualities has been a research topic of interest for many years. Most of the research efforts have focused on advanced fly-by-wire fixed-wing aircraft with only a few studies investigating the effects on rotorcraft. Consequently, only limited guidance is available on how cyclic force-feel characteristics should be set to obtain optimal handling qualities for rotorcraft. To study this effect, the U.S. Army Aeroflightdynamics Directorate working with the DLR Institute of Flight Systems in Germany under Task X of the U.S. German Memorandum of Understanding have been conducting flight test evaluations. In the U.S., five experimental test pilots have completed evaluations of two Mission Task Elements (MTEs) from ADS-33E-PRF and two command/response types for a matrix of center-stick cyclic force-feel characteristics at Moffett Field. In Germany, three experimental test Pilots have conducted initial evaluations of the two MTEs with two command/response types for a parallel matrix of side-stick cyclic force-feel characteristics at WTD-61 in Manching. The resulting data set is used to correlate the effect of changes in natural frequency and damping ratio of the cyclic inceptor on the piloted handling qualities. Existing criteria in ADS-33E and a proposed Handling Qualities Sensitivity Function that includes the effects of the cyclic force-feel characteristics are also evaluated against the data set and discussed.
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 20120011852., ARC-E-DAA-TN5043., and American Helicopter Society 68th Annual Forum; 1 May 2012; Fort Worth, TX; United States.
- Copyright, Distribution as joint owner in the copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 15978705