Search for Large Presolar Silicate Grains in the QUE 99177 CR Chondrite
- Nguyen, A. N.
- Physical Description:
- 1 electronic document
- Additional Creators:
- Messenger, S.
- hdl.handle.net , Connect to this object online.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Silicates are among the most abundant pre-solar grain type, and their diverse chemical and isotopic compos-tions preserve detailed constraints on their stellar origins, condensation conditions, and nucleosynthetic and interstellar processes. Yet, owing to their small sizes, relatively few grains have been measured for isotopic compositions besides O and Si, and their mineralogy is poorly characterized. The average grain size (approx 270 nm) limits the number of analyses that can be conducted on a given grain, and their identification among solar system silicates introduces contaminating signal. These difficulties can be overcome by identifying large presolar silicate grains. However, such grains are very rare and only two approx 1 micron grains have been discovered. We are conducting a dedicated search for large presolar silicates in size-separated QUE 99177 matrix material. This primitive meteorite has among the highest abundance of presolar silicates
- Other Subject(s):
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 20120011766.
75th Annual Meeting of the Meteoritical Society; 12-17 Aug. 2012; Cairns; Australia.
- Copyright, Distribution as joint owner in the copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 15978774