HIFIRE Flight 2 Overview and Status Update 2011
- Gruber, Mark R.
- April 18, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- 1 electronic document
- Additional Creators:
- Buccellato, Salvatore and Jackson, Kevin R.
- hdl.handle.net , Connect to this object online.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- A collaborative international effort, the Hypersonic International Flight Research Experimentation (HIFiRE) Program aims to study basic hypersonic phenomena through flight experimentation. HIFiRE Flight 2 teams the United States Air Force Research Lab (AFRL), NASA, and the Australian Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO). Flight 2 will develop an alternative test technique for acquiring high enthalpy scramjet flight test data, allowing exploration of accelerating hydrocarbon-fueled scramjet performance and dual-to-scram mode transition up to and beyond Mach 8 flight. The generic scramjet flowpath is research quality and the test fuel is a simple surrogate for an endothermically cracked liquid hydrocarbon fuel. HIFiRE Flight 2 will be a first of its kind in contribution to scramjets. The HIFiRE program builds upon the HyShot and HYCAUSE programs and aims to leverage the low-cost flight test technique developed in those programs. It will explore suppressed trajectories of a sounding rocket propelled test article and their utility in studying ramjet-scramjet mode transition and flame extinction limits research. This paper describes the overall scramjet flight test experiment mission goals and objectives, flight test approach and strategy, ground test and analysis summary, development status and project schedule. A successful launch and operation will present to the scramjet community valuable flight test data in addition to a new tool, and vehicle, with which to explore high enthalpy scramjet technologies.
- Other Subject(s):
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 20110011187.
32nd Airbreathing Propulsion Meeting; 18-22 Apr. 2011; Arlington, VA; United States.
58th JANNAF Propulsion Meeting; 18-22 Apr. 2011; Arlington, VA; United States.
32nd Exhaust Plume and Signatures Meeting; 18-22 Apr. 2011; Arlington, VA; United States.
44th Combustion Meeting; 18-22 Apr. 2011; Arlington, VA; United States.
- No Copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 15991158