3D Air Quality and the Clean Air Interstate Rule : Lagrangian Sampling of CMAQ Model Results to Aid Regional Accountability Metrics
- Weber, Stephanie
- January 20, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- 1 electronic document
- Additional Creators:
- Engel-Cox, Jill, Scheffe, Rich, Dimmick, Fred, Fairlie, T. D., Kittaka, Chieko, Pierce, Robert B., Al-Saadi, Jassim A., Szykman, Jim, Gilliland, A. B., and Tikvart, Joe
- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The Clean Air Interstate Rule (CAIR) is expected to reduce transport of air pollutants (e.g. fine sulfate particles) in nonattainment areas in the Eastern United States. CAIR highlights the need for an integrated air quality observational and modeling system to understand sulfate as it moves in multiple dimensions, both spatially and temporally. Here, we demonstrate how results from an air quality model can be combined with a 3d monitoring network to provide decision makers with a tool to help quantify the impact of CAIR reductions in SO2 emissions on regional transport contributions to sulfate concentrations at surface monitors in the Baltimore, MD area, and help improve decision making for strategic implementation plans (SIPs). We sample results from the Community Multiscale Air Quality (CMAQ) model using ensemble back trajectories computed with the NASA Langley Research Center trajectory model to provide Lagrangian time series and vertical profile information, that can be compared with NASA satellite (MODIS), EPA surface, and lidar measurements. Results are used to assess the regional transport contribution to surface SO4 measurements in the Baltimore MSA, and to characterize the dominant source regions for low, medium, and high SO4 episodes.
- Other Subject(s):
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 20080008474.
88th AMS Annual Meeting; 20-24 Jan. 2008; New Orleans, LA; United States.
- Copyright, Distribution as joint owner in the copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 16000639