- Restrictions on Access:
- Unclassified, Unlimited, Publicly available.
- Over the past several years, efforts have been under way to design and develop an operationally flexible research facility for investigating the use of cross-field MHD accelerators as a potential thrust augmentation device for thermal propulsion systems, The baseline configuration for this high-power experimental facility utilizes a 1,5-MW, multi-gas arc-heater as a thermal driver for a 2-MW, MHD accelerator, which resides in a large-bore 2-tesla electromagnet. A preliminary design study using NaK seeded nitrogen as the working fluid led to an externally diagonalized segmented MHD channel configuration based on an expendable beat-sink design concept. The current status report includes a review of engineering/design work and performance optimization analyses and summarizes component hardware fabrication and development efforts, preliminary testing results, and recent progress toward full-up assembly and testing
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Collection.
- Document ID: 20070031888.
AIAA Paper 2007-3884.
38th AlAA Plasmadynamlcs and Lasers Conference; 25-28 Jun. 2007; Miami, FL; United States.
16th Intemalional Conference on MHO Energy Conversion; 25-28 Jun. 2007; Miami, FL; United States.
- Copyright, Distribution as joint owner in the copyright.
View MARC record | catkey: 16001345